Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jeepneys and trains

I've forgotten how it felt like to ride public transportation.i rode jeepneys to and from school the whole way from high school to college and occasionally in shorter distances when I started working.

I decided to take a jeepney ride today instead of my usual cab ride going to the train station. Im heading to cubao to visit my high school friend who just gave birth. As the jeepney threaded the thoroughfare,little memories of my long commute from QC to Recto,munoz to cubao came flashing back, little misdemeanors, fun conversations and strange looks from fellow passengers was tucked in the narrow aisles of the jeepney and the jeepneys I rode throughout the years.

It was in the jeepney that I established my loathing for crappy speakers and ultra bad mixes.it was there that I knew I love rock music cuz I can't stand pop radio. All these little things that was once drowned by dark clouds belching from metro manila vehicles, insufferable traffic and annoying horns came to surface, even when the smoke still is and never will be clear. A ride to guadalupe was all it took to dust off time gone by.

I never realized how excrutiatingly disgusting the gust of wind blowing into my face was as the vehicle runs full speed was,I used to enjoy it, now I cant even breathe. So from taking jeepneys to school, I switched to riding the train to work. Every now and then, I take the train to cut my road time and inhaling pollution stricken air. For a while, it made commuting an ease but not without complains. From being on the verge of falling off my seat I share with 8 or 10 folks to making out with fiberglass in a sea of people and hitting it off with strangers in the train, nothing can ever be deemed comfortable enough and so I need to keep moving on, moving closer so a cab ride will be advisable albeit not entirely practical.

Life is a ride, a never ending highway leading to several destinations we'd like to go to one time or another. Traffic is inevitable, we may get there too late, not make it at all or take a detour where at a given time, presents a better opportunity to drive by smoothly. The intersections of our life's journeys are pathways we have to brave,when the light goes green, we accelerate in the direction we're heading. If it turns red, we stop and give way to people crossing and wait till its green and go again.

My short ride have been torturous but it was a ride that easily turned into a rite of passage. When you feel like your life has stopped, hopping into the past will show us how we've stepped up, and if we dont like where we landed, we can go back and start a new chapter.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment